Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 35:11 — 32.2MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
2020 has been called a lot of things, and most of them aren’t very nice. But at least one positive situation has emerged from this challenging year – a profound appreciation of our frontline health care workers.
As COVID-19 fills hospitals with critically ill patients, nursing homes battle the virus among its patients and staff, and front line nurses give countless COVID tests and now…vaccines…now, more than ever, Oklahomans owe a debt of gratitude to workers in the health care industry and those who train health care workers.
In this season finale episode:
- We talk about the worldwide nursing shortage and its effect on Oklahoma’s health care system.
- Connie Romans tells us about a generous gift from a CareerTech grad that’s benefitting health care educators and students across the state.
- We hear about some of the challenges of training students for health careers – in the middle of a pandemic.
- We’re reminded that men and women can follow whatever career path they choose…especially in health care!
You can subscribe to our podcast on Apple, Spotify, Google, TuneIn, Stitcher, or ask your smart speaker to “Play CareerTech Horizon.”
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @CT_Horizon, or on Facebook to stay up to date with this ongoing project. Visit our website for show notes, episode trailers, and bonus content “Beyond Your Horizon” at http://cthorizon.org
Beyond Your Horizon — Articles, videos, and bonus content
Getting Started in Health Careers
EMSA Bed Donations
- A gift that will keep on giving to Oklahoma’s health care system
- CareerTech Champions: Heather Yazdanipour – Metro Technology Centers
- Episode 8: “Back In The Swing of Things” — Tri County Technology Center’s “Skills To Rebuild” program focuses on training students for healthcare jobs quickly, without sacrificing quality.
Classic Horizon Stories
- Single Mom Overcomes Odds — How nursing turned Mandii Brower’s life around
- SIM Nursing Training — Lifelike training mannequin helps nursing students
- Medical Care Shortage (2017) — Northeast Technology Center is working to fill the medical care shortage in rural areas through its nursing program.